Friday, October 28, 2011

Occupy Together & Tar Sands--more connections

Another important connection between the Occupy movement and the environmental movement is the continuing scandal of tax breaks and subsidies that the fossil fuel industry receives.  For example, in California, there is no tax on extraction of oil--we're giving it away!  I signed an initiative petition to create an oil extraction tax; I hope it gets on the ballot and passes.  There are many other subsidies totalling billions of dollars--depletion allowances, foreign tax credits, . . . This is an area ripe for attack.

I also read a very good article on Alternet that makes lots of connections between Occupy Wall Street and the environment.  Please check it out here.

PS--Occupy Oakland is back!--while 2500 people held a vigil at City Hall for injured occupier Scott Olson, and afterwards a general assembly, I counted 18 tents set up by the time I left around 9:00 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews