Saturday, April 2, 2011

Inflation and solar power

I just learned that my pension will be eligible for a 2% cost of living increase in July. Now I realize that I am very fortunate to have a pension at all, and to have one that has a healthy financial plan value (San Francisco Employee Retirement System).

But what is the basic element of inflation that is happening right now? From what I can see it's mostly oil; the price of everything else is pretty flat. So anyone with solar panels and an electric car is especially fortunate--the cost of our electricity and driving does not go up at all with inflation. (And even our good pension doesn't really keep up with inflation; for someone who retired in 1983, the pension is 36% below the consumer price index increases.)

Yet another reminder that solar power and electric cars are the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews